HP-85A tape drive conversion

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Apr 1 19:14:03 CDT 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, Marc Verdiell wrote:

> geneb wrote:
>> So it looks like he made a little cap over the top - that's a very simple
>> print.  If you can get me dimensions I can print you a few.
>
> Yep that's what I did:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQKCiS0w2s
> inspiring myself from Rick's drawing (thanks Rick). It's a very small part
> though, not sure if you can print something that small accurately unless you
> have a professional printer.

I've printed instrument needles that are 1.5mm wide and .5mm thick.
The thinnest layer height I've printed with is 50 micron.  That took 2.5
hours to print a 25mm square cube. :)

> The cap I made was 6mm high, 9.6mm in diameter, with a cavity 3mm deep of
> 6.30mm diameter at the bottom for the capstan to go in. It required me to
> reduce the original capstan diameter to the 6.30mm so it could fit in the
> cavity though. That's what I was trying to avoid with my two alternate
> proposals (for people that don't have a lathe...)

That's actually a fairly good sized part.

> Speaking of which
>> I want his lathe. :)
> Mwahahaha. Nooooo. It's all miiiiine. Sadly they don't make them anymore, I
> got one of the last ones.

What I need to do is get off my butt and get a 4th axis (rotary) added to
my ShopBot. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007