Cyber ECL Wiring

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Nov 30 14:19:32 CST 2014

On 2014-Nov-30, at 8:59 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Then, there was the system that came before wire-wrap.  It had rectangular
> posts on card edge connectors, and I think the wire was stranded. There was
> a "gun" that had a roll of little tin-plated clips.  You stuck the wire into the
> gun, and squeezed the handle.  It drove a clip onto the pin, pinching the
> wire through the insulation.  I've forgotten the name of this system, too.
> This was used for connecting up standard logic boards into a backplane,
> not for use at the chip level.
>
> Jon

Would that be these?:

	http://www3.telus.net/~bhilpert/tmp/HP2116C/crimps.jpg
	http://www3.telus.net/~bhilpert/tmp/HP2116C/backplane.jpg

It's the backplane of an HP2116C.
I've always wondered what the tradename for the technique was.
Looks like in these machines the wire was stripped before crimping though.