Cyber ECL Wiring

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Nov 30 10:59:19 CST 2014

On 11/30/2014 12:27 AM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> There was also some sort of stapled-wire technology that
> was automated.  I don't recall the name of it.

There was something I think was called stitch bond.  Wire
that looked very much like
wire-wrap wire, but probably had thinned insulation was
ultrasonically bonded to
flat posts on the board.  I have some military-grade gear
with flat pack chips that
used this much like one would make wire-wrap cards.  But,
they were very compact
and hardly thicker than a standard PC board.

Then, there was the system that came before wire-wrap.  It
had rectangular
posts on card edge connectors, and I think the wire was
stranded. There was
a "gun" that had a roll of little tin-plated clips.  You
stuck the wire into the
gun, and squeezed the handle.  It drove a clip onto the pin,
pinching the
wire through the insulation.  I've forgotten the name of
this system, too.
This was used for connecting up standard logic boards into a
backplane,
not for use at the chip level.

Jon