Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 00:33:12 CST 2014

> Much the same situation exists for 5.25" media labeled "48 tpi", "96
> tpi" or "100 tpi".

I have had 5.25" disks that would apparently format reliably at 48tpi
(40 cylinders) but not at 96tpi. I guess it was that the magnetisation
level was marginal anyway and you didn't get enough signal back
with the narrower head. No, I didn't trust them, not even at 40
cylinders

I remember similar issues with audio recording tape, some would
be OK (just) for 2 track recording and useless for 4 track.

-tony