Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Sun Nov 23 09:33:18 CST 2014

random832 at fastmail.us wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014, at 19:33, Tothwolf wrote:
> > NEMA 14-30, 240V 30A, 4-wire, clothes dryers
> > NEMA 14-50, 240V 50A, 4-wire, electric ranges
> > NEMA 10-30, 240V 30A, 3-wire, clothes dryers
> > NEMA 10-50, 240V 50A, 3-wire, electric ranges
> >
> > In the US, with systems installed before 1996, it is common to find NEMA
> > 10 3-wire devices which lack a ground (earth) pin.
>
> And in case anyone's wondering what we need four wires for, it's because
> our 240V circuits use two opposite phases that are 120 V relative to
> ground. Some appliances will use just one phase for some purposes such
> as lights and timers.

Hmm, not that effective ehy?
We also have 4 wires here, 3 phases and one neutral (Star Point)
After an Security Device, the RCD it gets split to 5 wires: 3 ühases, the
neutral and an earth line that's connected to the metal enclosure of
connected devices. In case of an isolation failure this prevents any injury
of persons and the RCD will pop off the power if one of the phases put more
than 30mA (thats common) in the eart line.

Pictures of a singe ans a 3 phase RCD:

http://www.o-digital.com/wholesale-products/2179/2183-2/Residual-Current-Devices--RCD-RCCB-ELCB-Circuit-Breaker-OLL2-51875.html

Regards,

Holm