Old x86 "PC" SBCs (Toronto Microelectronics)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Nov 22 15:08:45 CST 2014

On 11/22/2014 12:50 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

> I've got this ISA card sitting around which was made by Toronto
> Microelectronics (TME), but it gives the impression that it may be a
> complete SBC in its own right; it has a 386sx for CPU, takes 30 pin
> simms, and has various connectors (IDE, floppy, 2x RS232 and parallel
> are obvious, then there are another six unlabeled connectors). IC dates
> are all around 1993.

I've seen similar Chinese-made NOS ones being offered on eBay.  Most of
the connectors should be obvious--including one 10-pin header at the
extreme top left for serial comms.  Others should be keyboard, mouse and
probably HDD indicator.  A little buzzing out with a continuity checker
should betray the remainder.

I think these were mostly used in passive-backplane industrial
applications.  You typically don't need a lot of compute power in such
applications, nor fancy graphics.

--Chuck