11/73 (ba23) bringup after 12 years in deplorable storage conditions

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 16:33:06 CST 2014

  Thanks for the replies.  Hope to remember enough about electronics and
get enough guidance to be able to use the diagrams you've made, Rob.

Okay, I opened the power supply and checked for corrosion (none at all),
worked back and forth all of the push-on connectors thoroughly and replaced
the PSU into the chassis.  I don't yet understand where to insert the
resistors, but I guess anywhere there's 12v and 5v would be sensible.

   So now, with no boards at all in the chassis, I do at least get a few
lights on the little front panel but unfortunately not the "DC OK" light
and still no fans.  To get them to stay on, I have to kind of 'trick' the
PSU by turning it off, waiting a second, then turning it back on.

  While I'm not stickler for perfect authenticity, I do respect it to a
degree.  So I'm wondering but am hesitant to ask: Would it be more sensible
to just buy a commodity PC power supply that has lots of 5v and some 12v,
find a way to bolt it in and rework the wiring to fit?  Or  do you think
it's likely I'll be able to bring this power supply back to safe, reliable
condition without getting in over my head?

  Suggestions on where to begin tracing the thing would be most welcome,
please and thanks!

  It's been some decades since I've dealt with electronics at this level of
detail and in the interim, someone has made off with my nice fluke meter,
so I don't even have anything to check volts with at the moment.  Going to
find another now.  Got lots to re-learn here; thanks for bearing with..

--jake

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:33 AM, Robert Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com