Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Nov 21 21:12:33 CST 2014

On 11/21/2014 01:46 PM, Todd Killingsworth wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I'm looking into getting a bigger Sun box (bigger than my E3000) and after
> reading the specs...  If I'm really going to do this, I'll need to get some
> 220v outlets wired up. (I'm in the US.) Any advice to pass along for this?
> I'd much rather listen to other people's surprises than have to rediscover
> them on my own.
>
> How much of what you collect requires 220v?  How many big boxes do you keep
> running - 24/7 or just turn it on/off as you want to use it?

I have 240 V wired to my computer room.  I have a micro VAX
that was set up to run off
240 V, built into a big cabinet that was originally a 3rd
party memory cabinet for a
370/145.  it probably used up $35 of electricity a month
when I had it totally tricked
out with multiple disk and tape controllers, graphics, etc.
That was a long time ago.
I finally migrated the last useful app off that system about
7 years ago, which logged
environmental readings from the house and displayed them on
LCD displays around
the house.  I did have this system running for 21 years
straight. it eventually became
somewhat unreliable, cards needed to be reseated every
couple months.  Then, the
hard disk died.

Jon