Re; What to look for in a Model 33 Teletype - a newb's buyer's guide?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:54:35 CST 2014

Pun unavoidable, more or less.

So at least we're on the same page so far as RS-232 -> 20mA converters are
concerned. I've been looking at that stuff today.. and here's something
that seems too easy.

Is there any reason that I couldn't pick up a cheap, common RS-232 to TTL
converter module (like eBay item 310624019670 - about $5) and connect the
TTL side to an opto-isolated transceiver pair like the HCPL-4100 / 4200?
The DIY schematics I've seen are essentially  RS-232 to TTL converters
(using the MAX232 IC) that directly drive the 4100/4200 pair.

Like I said, seems too easy.. but why wouldn't it work?