DELUA technical manual, VAX diagnostic

Henk henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:50:46 CST 2014

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Rich Alderson
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 8:05 PM
To: cctech at classiccmp.org
Subject: DELUA technical manual, VAX diagnostic

We have a crumbling DELUA in the VAX-11/780-5 at LCM.  There is a copy of
the *User's* Manual at Bitsavers, but not the *Technical* Manual.  Does
anyone happen to have a copy lining the hamster cage floor, vel sim.?

The User's Manual refers to a diagnostic, EVDYB, which "runs under the VAX
diagnostic supervisor (VDS)."  Does anyone here have either of those things,
or pointers to them?  In the mean time, I'm going to try to get the
PDP-11/70
to run CZUAD from a simulated TU58, but I'm told that getting the DELUA into
and out of the crowded Unibus backplane is an exercise in bloodletting.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Alderson
Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Ave S
Seattle, WA 98134

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/

---
I have an RA82 with "VAX diagnostics" on it, but I will need several months
before I will be able to access that drive (problems with the VAX-11/750
console line).  I only have the User Manual (original version not a copy).

Insertion and removal of the DELUA is not more difficult than an RL11.
Maybe the DELUA is even easier to insert and remove than an RL11,
because the RL11 has a 40-pin BERG header at the *top* side of the
module, whereas the DELUA has a smaller (16-pin?) header at the *front*,
so the connection cable to the bulkhead is easier to connect on a DELUA.
Both boards are "hex", so a bit of "wiggling" helps to get all 6 edge
connectors aligned for the backplane slot.

- Henk, PA8PDP