Netronics Phoneme generator info

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 19:03:35 CST 2014

On 11/10/2014 04:41 PM, Roe Peterson wrote:

>> On Nov 10, 2014, at 4:11 PM, Jules Richardson
>> <jules.richardson99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/10/2014 02:51 PM, Roe Peterson wrote: You know, this entire
>>> discussion requires a user to reliably hit the RETURN key.  At least
>>> once, at the right time, and after connecting with a modem, or
>>> whatever.
>>
>> Except that the return key generates 0x0a [LF] (at least on the Linux
>> system that I have the board hooked up to) and the board is expecting
>> 0x0d [CR, ctrl-M] as the first character.
>
> No, the keyboard will always generate a CR (CTRL-M, 0x0d) when the
> return/enter/whatever key is pressed.  Unix/Linux line discipline
> translates it into an LF (if, IIRC, ICRNL is set).

Yes, sorry - I see what you mean (just looking at 'stty -a' output in a
shell window; icrnl is indeed set).

For the purposes of trying this board I'm unsetting ocrnl on the serial
device, however (both in my C code and when I've been attempting to write
directly from a shell), so it shouldn't be doing any translation when I
send 0x0d down the line.

In theory, anyway! (I'm not sure if I have any RS232-capable dot matrix
printers, as otherwise that might be the easiest way to verify what's
actually coming down the line)

cheers

Jules