Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:06:57 CST 2014

** Update - I think it's nailed **

I let the unit cool down sufficiently such that things were "working" again
- but this time, I was ready. I had the base & collector of the HOT
instrumented, as well as the first cap in the 50V supply. Recall that both
15V & 50V tertiary supplies are otherwise disconnected from the horiz.
section where they are produced.

With the 50V supply running fine at 44V, the signals at the HOT base
measured 212mV P-P, and the collector 15V P-P. This ignores any HF spikes,
I'm just concerned with the significant power region of the signals.

After a few minutes, the 50V supply crashed.. and guess what? The HOT base
signal actually increased a bit, to around 250mV P-P while the collector
fell by at least an order of magnitude.

So please correct me if my conclusions are unwarranted, but I believe the
situation is quite clear, now. The  HOT has a thermal intermittent in the
E-C circuit - I just can't see any other explanation for this behavior. The
base signal didn't flicker, it actually +rose+ as the collector signal went
away. It's as if the E-C circuit is going high-impedance while the B-C
circuit remains intact.

Also - if something (like C116) were shorting the C to ground, we wouldn't
see a +rise+ in the base waveform.. we'd only see the base signal increase
if the load on the collector were to go away - eh?

IOW, It's just gotta be the HOT. From the get-go.