Wanted: SIMH VAX VMS tape image tester, take 2

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Dec 19 10:18:23 CST 2014

On 12/18/14 11:07 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Okay, I think I've gotten the SIMH image thing straightened out--and I've added a descriptive record after the EOM marker in the image.

looks OK, but it may be difficult to parse, and I'm a little confused by the use of double-quote.
":" is a LEADING keyword identifier?

<block length>

TAPEINFO<lf><lf>
:Image-file-creator STP2TAP 0.01<lf>
:Original-Host DEC VAX VMS<lf>
:Tape-Density  1600 PE<lf>

<block length>

How do you tell when the Tape-Description string ends?
What happens if there is a keyword after a Tape-Description string, or a ":" in any string?

Bad block information would be inside this record as well?

The problem is you can't change anything in the tape image itself for bad blocks, otherwise
it isn't backwards compatible.