Strange i-con Unibus (?) board

Pete Turnbull pete at
Thu Dec 11 03:36:41 CST 2014

On 11/12/2014 01:26, Eric Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Pete Turnbull
> <pete at> wrote:
>> Maybe, but SIPPs (as I've usually seen them called, to distinguish
>> them from SIPs: see below) are just SIMMs that have pins.
> Though technically SIP is the correct term. I think you're making a
> distinction between a SIP IC and a SIP module, but both are correctly
> called SIP (Single Inline Package).

Maybe, but in my experience they're more commonly called SIPPs (Single
In-line Pin Package), and were sold as such by some manufacturers
(Toshiba, Hyundai, for example).

> I haven't seen those, but there was a brief period where RAM chips
> commonly had a SIP-like package with the leads formed in a staggered
> dual row arrangement extending from one side of the package body and
> in the plane of the body, known as a ZIP (Zigzag Inline Package):

Yes, I've got machines with those too.  I've even got some sockets for them.


More information about the cctech mailing list