Hot Wire to Cut PVA Bond Between a CRT and Its Safety Lens?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 19:05:46 CST 2014

Many years ago I worked with an improvised hot-wire foam cutter, used to
cut 4' thick EPS (Styrofoam) slabs. The wire itself was around 6' long, and
ran vertically.

The electrical side consisted of only the ni-chrome wire, a Variac, a fuse
or CB and AC wiring. Whoever spec'd out the thing chose a wire that, at 6'
long, was fine with somewhere between 20V and 120V AC - I never really
noticed where the Variac was set, somewhere mid-range though.

On the top end, the wire was attached via a long-ish turnbuckle to an
insulator secured to a ceiling truss. The hot wire penetrated the work
surface (a table made of two 4x8 sheets of plywood) near the center
(passing through a metal guide plate with a small hole) and was firmly
secured somewhere beneath. The turnbuckle up top was used to set tension on
the wire.