Help with a busted MSV11-L?

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Sun Dec 7 09:32:46 CST 2014

Something like a 74LS373, that's still in production and commonly
available; you can get it from Jameco, Digi-Key, Mouser, etc. I don't think
there's really any difference in quality between manufacturers these
days... if you go to Jameco the manufacturer is often "TBD" anyway, LOL.

I would replace all with "LS" parts, don't bother trying to find an exact
replacement for that 74S part.

Some people really like to put a socket in when they replace an IC. I
suppose people figure if it failed once it could fail again, and of course
you want to limit the amount soldering/desoldering so you don't damage the
board... I think it's really personal preference; I think the MTBF on
whatever IC you've replaced is going to be pretty high... if you do go
ahead and put a socket in there, be sure to check vertical clearance and
also I think it's worth spending the extra pennies for a nice turned-pin
socket... much nicer than the stamped-pin sockets and they'll hold up
better over the long run.

Best,

Sean