HP9830 memory / was Re: Still looking for Infotek MX-30 RAM

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 22:51:01 CST 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2014-Dec-03, at 12:12 AM, Eric Smith wrote:
>> I'm thinking about designing a new static RAM board for the 9830 for the 2015/07
>> retrochallenge.
> Would this be for the sake of a fun project, or would it be practical necessity, such as need & availability of 1103's for repair?

I've got plenty of 1103As. I have two 9830A memory boards, one good
4KW and one bad 2KW. I haven't found time to diagnose the bad one. But
even if I fix that one, I'll only have 6KW. If I build my own RAM
board, with a couple of jumpers to one of the other boards to pick up
extra address lines, I can have 16KW.

I also would like to design a 9880A disk emulator for it. That's more
work than designing a RAM board, but it doesn't look too daunting.