Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Dec 4 18:06:39 CST 2014

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 07:26:09PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
[...]
> Pick and choose. Why not C? Although the code generated by the PDP-11 C isn't
> the best I've seen. FORTRAN-77? BASIC+2? The list goes on...  Personally I
> might have done it in MACRO-11 as well. :-)

The PDP-11 ISA is sane enough that one could create a LLVM backend and
cross-compile to it using any of the LLVM-supported languages.  It'd be quite
perverse to run C++14 code on it, but the code would likely be smaller and
faster than anything generated by a native compiler.

Bonus points for running Java on it :)