EDSAC lives

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Dec 1 02:49:11 CST 2014

On 2014-Nov-30, at 11:07 AM, Ian S. King wrote:
> I would vote for the Whirlwind.  In addition to an interesting
> architecture, the machine has a fascinating history!  -- Ian

It's one of my favorite early machines too. It was just so far-looking in objective. While all the other first-generation machines under construction at the time - state-of-the-art themselves - were intended for number-crunching applications in what would become batch-processing, Whirlwind was leap-frogging them by 10-15 years in vision, targetting real-time simulation with human interaction.

One of the SAGE blockhouses should have been kept intact with the full & functioning equipment installation.