DEC H7822 power supply

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at orcam.me.uk
Thu May 12 10:39:27 CDT 2022

On Wed, 11 May 2022, Paul Koning wrote:

> > I guess especially for standard capacitors factories ordered whatever was
> > readily available whereas with the high-ripple low-impedance/ESR parts the
> > choice was much more limited.
>
> I wonder if nowadays a good replacement for the case where low ESR is
> needed would be a big ceramic capacitor.  Unlike the old days those now
> can be had in many-µF capacitances.

 Possibly, in the lower capacitance range, if not for the horrendous
price, e.g. $50/£40 each for a 470µF/25V part:

<https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/661-KTD250B477M99A0B>

(at least you get free shipping for just one piece).  There's still little
choice for the higher range parts found in DEC PSUs, such as 1800µF/25V,
4700µF/10V or 6800µF/20V even.  With aluminium organic polymer capacitors
rated voltage also quickly drops for higher capacitances, so you won't get
any of these as replacements either.  I don't know offhand to what extent
these limitations come from current technology vs the laws of physics.

  Maciej