The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Robert Feldman r_a_feldman at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 13:51:51 CDT 2022

   Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>Subject: Re: The TRS-80 Journey Continues
>
>>On 5/10/22 22:33, Fred Cisin wrote:
>>On Tue, 10 May 2022, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>>DDensity.? I thought there was a single command to make the system
>>part and then you just added the Utilities you wanted.
>>

>>Was it SYSGEN?
>
>As near as I can tell SYSGEN only modifies a file (or two) but
>does not copy any files to a new location.
>
>Bill

No, SYSGEN is the CP/M command to initialize a blank, formatted disk with the CP/M system:

“The SYSGEN transient command allows generation of an initialized disk containing the CP/M operating system. The SYSGEN program prompts the console for commands by interacting as shown...” (From http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archive/cpm22htm/ch1.htm#Section_1.6.6).

SYSGEN puts the CP/M system files on a reserved (not visible) area of the disk. It is a separate program, not a built-in command. On the Osborne (which I used), CP/M was 4KB in size. You can use then use PIP to copy the other, visible files.

Bob