LSSM is chasing this, was Re: General Data? Computer Equipment Auction - GSA

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 17 10:32:22 CDT 2022

On 3/17/22 09:30, Tom Hunter wrote:
> Your following comment is offensive:
>
> "I hope these systems go to a good home, and don't disappear into the
> black hole of a private collection."

   So sorry.

> You equate private collections with black holes. I think on the contrary
> many private collectors do a better job at preserving old systems than
> "museums".

   And now you equate all museums, with your quotes suggesting
illegitimacy.  Your opinion of the museum community is clear.  Does this
mean there is no room whatsoever for any museum to earn your respect?

   I was a private collector for decades before I embarked on the
project of building a public museum.  I know the score from both sides.
There is a lot of good AND a lot of bad on both sides.

   (I have quite a lot to say on this subject, but it would be
counterproductive to discuss it further.)

> I remember several "museums" which have failed in recent years.
> At least four of them have been much too greedy and took on way more
> than they could handle and in effect turned the collections into scrap.

   Oh yes, it happens all the time.  If you think LSSM is in this
category, I disagree.  But either way, you're welcome to come and help.

> And then there is of course the sorry saga of the Living Computer
> "Museum" in Seattle which has sucked up a lot of old systems from
> private collectors.

   Of course.  That debacle gave the entire museum world a bad name.
And, it has nothing whatsoever to do with us.  In fact, I promise you
that we're a lot more angry about it than you are.

   I'm sorry you took offense to my statement.  It was said in
frustration, and that was my fault.  But it was not an inaccurate
representation of my direct and frequent experience with many private
collections.

   There is no need for animosity here; we were (and are) concerned for
the disposition of the machines.  There isn't much DG hardware out
there, and very little of even that is accessible.

   Once again, as you suggest we're doing a poor job, you're welcome to
come and help.  Just give us a date and time.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA