Looking for computer and individual to read old floppy disks

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Mar 11 21:03:48 CST 2022

On 3/11/22 18:32, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:

> There are no 5.25" USB floppies. Well, not 100% true (there are
> values in the identifier strings that tell you it's a 1.2MB floppy vs
> a 1.44MB floppy), but as a practical matter, you can't find them.
> I've looked and gave up... That's how I wound up with my kyroflux +
> TEAC drive (though a greaseweasel is a better choice these days)...

Not completely true--in the old USB 1.0 days, there were a very few
USB-to-floppy bridges that could talk 5.25' 250Kbit/sec-speak.  SMC had
one such and I suspect that multi-chip implementations were also available.

But given that few new people understand anything that's not Windows, it
would be a futile effort, I suspect.

All the best,
Chuck