Cross-tools

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jun 28 19:43:22 CDT 2022

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 6:08 PM Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Jun 28, 2022, at 5:25 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 3:03 PM Paul Koning via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> > I'm looking for cross tools for PDP11.  I know of macro11, and have been
> feeding Olaf assorted fixes.
> >
> > I built my own LIBR (in Python, that was easy enough).
> >
> > So now I'm looking for LINK and TKB.  I found this:
> https://github.com/nzeemin/pclink11 but it says no overlay support and
> may never happen.  Are there others, and is there any overlay support?
> >
> > What about a cross-TKB?
> >
> > My hope is to be able to cross-build all of RSTS that is in assembly
> language.
> >
> > When I did the 2.11BSD restoration project, I used the apout emulator to
> run assemblers, linkers, etc.
> >
> > Are there any user-mode emulators that support RSTS/E system calls?
>
> Not that I know of, and most of the RSTS utilities are in PDP-11 assembly
> language.  So I can run things on SIMH, of course, but cross-builds are
> much faster.  Running the RSTS kernel and loader through the cross macro11
> takes only about 8 seconds of CPU time.

Yea, apout ran things in << 1s, so it flies by and is no where near the
long pole in the scripts I wrote to reconstruct patches...

There is a macro assembler and linker that run on V7 and later, but I don't
think that will help you all that much (though it appears to have some
vestiges of OBJ support, I've never tried to enable it).

Warner

Warner