IBM PC Connecting to DECNET

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jun 1 04:53:45 CDT 2022

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 10:08 PM Wayne S via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> I think Decnet can run over a serial connection (rs-232) if you have
> Decnet software. It’s not medium dependent. I got it to work years ago from
> vax-to-vax. I’m not aware of any pc decnet software although I haven’t
> looked much into it. Should work over ethernet too. Do you have any Decnet
> pc software?

The first PC version of DECnet was over serial. There's copies of it in
bitsavers.org. The second version had ethernet support. There's copies of
the IBM PC version of that software on bitkeepers, but not the DEC Rainbow
version, alas. Then again, the Ethernet card for the DEC Rainbow is quite
rare these days (I've not seen one in 15 years of looking), as is the
software that describes how it was put together.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/DEC/decnet/

is the archive. If you want ETHERNET, you should use the V2.0 or newer
code. V1.1 was serial only. I believe the DEPCA was based on the venerable
SONIC chipset, but it may have been the LANCE. It wasn't NE-2000 compatible
(that came later) :). The Rainbow design supposed was quite similar, but
I've only been able to find old review articles about it, nothing concrete.

Warner