Origin of "partition" in storage devices

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Jan 31 19:13:22 CST 2022

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> Yes, RT-11 is a somewhat unusual file system in that it doesn't just
> support contiguous files -- it supports ONLY contiguous files.  That
> makes for a very small and very fast file system.
>
> The only other example I know of that does this is the PLATO file system.

The UCSD P-System had contiguous files.  If small files had been deleted,
so that space was fragmented, you had to run a "CRUNCH" program to
defragment it.   Directory entries had the starting location and length.

Fred Cisin                      cisin at xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com
2245 Carquinez Avenue           (510) 234-3397
ElCerrito, CA 94530