What was a Terminal Concentration Device in DEC's products?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jan 31 10:04:04 CST 2022

    > From: Bob Smith

    > the original UART was designed by DEC, Vince Bastiani was the project
    > lead and designer, Gordon Bell was behind the project, and it may have
    > been his idea.

"Computer Engineering: A DEC View of Hardware Systems Design" covers this, in
a footnote on pg. 73.

I seem to recall reading that Ken Olsen was involved in doing early modem
work (presumably on Whirlwind), but maybe my memory is failing, and it was
someone else (like Bell, or someone). Too busy to research it at the moment...

	Noel