Building a BA08 for a pdp8/L

pbirkel at gmail.com pbirkel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 03:00:10 CST 2022

Thank you.  I _would have_ probably also looked at the analogous "MM8I_Schem_Aug69.pdf" print set.  But those were antediluvian times; no Bitsavers and DEC wasn't handing out free print sets.  You could purchase them, though -- I still have KA10 and MA10 documentation that I acquired that way for my own education/amusement :->.

Fortunately I had access to the full (32Kw MC8-I) controller hard-copy documentation for the 8/I courtesy of an amazingly built-out system installation in the lab below us (8/I with a full 32Kw core plus a pair of DF32 plus at least two TU56) who was willing to serve as my personal lending-library :->.  AFAICS that documentation hasn't been captured in Bitsavers.  I have found my 45 y/o 8x11 taped together photocopies if you decide to go past adding a single additional field.  Aside from a few annotations there plus some sketched connector-signal information I haven't found any as-built documentation -- not even a IC-laydown -- although I see that I used SSM MB6A boards for the SRAM arrays.  Unfortunately no pictures and the system is (very) long gone.

WRT the delay lines, I think that you've nailed it -- my lack of recall is likely because none of the special timing requirements for the RMW cycle(s) for core applied so I didn't need to replicate that part of the control; individual R or W cycles based on the 2102L are necessarily more than fast enough.  Unfortunately none of my implementation-related notes/sketches appear to have survived :-<.  And the few that do are often on the "clean" side of reused paper.  Poor church mice ...

I did also find documentation for a MONOSTORE V/PLANAR 1K-word to 8K-word SRAM module (pub. 1976) for an 8/E that I suspect that I studied carefully to see how OMNIBUS-based signaling was being handled in an environment where RMW core was also supported.  It claims to have used "AMD DS9408" parts according to the inventory; have never heard of that one.

In roughly the same time-period I also built-out an AX08 surrogate that went to Appleton, WI, in support of a newly-minted PhD from our lab.  I found some notes relating to the necessary control components plus the use of "brick" type A/D and D/A devices.  I suspect that the deal was that the new position came with a PO for an 8/I and BA08A (probably w/o memory), but not an AX08 -- so I was looking for the most cost-effective means to replicate critical AX08 functionality ... and did so.  It's been a long time.