WARNING: Clear QIC Tape Bands

Jonathan Chapman lists at glitchwrks.com
Tue Jan 18 12:21:08 CST 2022

> However, "couple (of) months" seems incongruent with "day-to-day".

I don't do a reinstall of SunOS every day, though!

> I am assuming that the day-to-day operation to mean that the source data
> is still accessible on the source system. As such, it's probably simply
> a matter of annoyance when a QIC* fails and you must re-do the process
> that was using it.

Yeah, it's not like irreplaceable data is being lost. But when they fail, you have to at least re-band another tape, and with this stuff pulling oxide off, probably clean the drive too. And of course write a new tape out.

> *Can I use /just/ QIC as a proper name or should I say /QIC/ /cartridge/
> analogous to VIN number?

"Tape" is I think what most people call them :P

Thanks,
Jonathan