8" Floppy Drives needed

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:04:43 CST 2022

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:16 PM Mike Katz via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I am looking for one or two 8" floppy drives, preferably Shugart
> compatible at a reasonable price.
>
> Does anyone have anything like this laying around, unused, in their
> basement, storage locker, garage, etc.
>
> I am looking to make a RX01 (and hopefully RX02) disk formatter and copier.

Mike gets first choice, of course, but I'm also looking for something
similar, especially since doubled-sided half-height drives (TM848) can
become media strippers (two ceramic heads vs one head and a pad).  I
just need to read single-sided DEC media, so that's fine.  I should
have all the cables and adapters and such squared away shortly, and I
already have a 486 I'm using with ImageDisk, TeleDisk, and PUTR with
5.25" media.  8" is next, especially a large carton of RX01 media.

RX02 might have to wait on getting/finding an RXV21 and restoring an
RX02 because the format is oddball.  I think I have an RXV21 somewhere
but I wouldn't have used it in this century.

After Mike gets squared away, I'm in for a SS FH 8" drive.

I'm in Ohio.

-ethan