VAX 780 on eBay

P Gebhardt p.gebhardt at ymail.com
Sun Jan 9 08:17:25 CST 2022

>I'm rather puzzled that an -11/70 will sell for north of $10K, while a /780
>can't fetch $5K. I can only guess that PDP-11'S are seen as more important in
>the collector world (even though the BSD work, which had such a huge impact on
>UNIX, which has now - in the form of Linux - taken over the world, was
>centered on the VAX).

Noel, maybethis is also related to the bare size of an 11/780 (any peripherals excluded) compared to a 11/70 which can be handled a bit easier when it comes to moving and storing it somewhere. And then we had these recent discussions about powering an 11/780 for those who would actually like to do something with it rather than just storing it. I think that an 11/70 is more convenient in practical terms for a lot of enthousiasts out there.

Cheers,
Piere