11/83 operating system load update -2

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 11:43:40 CST 2022

> On Feb 23, 2022, at 12:38 PM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 9:29 PM Rod Smallwood via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> 2. The PC I want to use is a DEC Celeibris FX ie the PC and its W95
>> software is as supplied by DEC.
> .
> .
> .
>> 5.  putR was supposed to be able to do this. It does not.
>
> Rod,
>
> My memory is that programs like putr need to run on "real" DOS, not a
> DOS window. So if you are trying to run putr without booting to MS-DOS
> 6.2 or older, that could be the source of your problems with it.

I don't know PUTR, but my experience with DOS int13 code in RSTSFLX (built with DJGPP) is that it worked fine in a DOS window on Win95.  And that makes sense, because Win95 is basically just a bit of UI veneer over DOS.  Win NT is an entirely different thing, of course, and I would not expect DOS low level I/O to work in Win NT command windows since those really are not DOS.

	paul