Installing an operating system on an 11/83

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:09:04 CST 2022

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 10:20 AM Antonio Carlini via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I imagine it was possible to hook up RX50s to a VAX-11/750 but I never
> saw one configured that way. Why not use tape :-)

We had an RUX50 on our 11/750 (I still have it).  It's just another
MSCP controller, but since we had a UDA50, our RUX50 was configured at
an alternate address.

I suppose we could have booted off of it, but we would have needed a
bootstrap that could boot from a non-primary controller.  Our boot
ROMs only knew how to boot device 0 on the primary controller.

-ethan