Is The M9312 Boot Module Essential?

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sat Feb 19 08:02:17 CST 2022

My 11/24 does *not* have an M9312.  My UNIBUS out from the processor
backplane goes to an RK611, and then to a VT11.  I have an M9301 at the
end, in the VT11 UNIBUS OUT slot.  I didn't pull the map card, but I am
99.9999% sure that my boot ROMs (RL11, RK611) are on my UNIBUS map card.

The UNIBUS MAP card has space for 5 ROMS: the console/diagnostic (which
maybe isn't even socketed), and including the sockets 4 device ROMs.

You do want a terminator that provides a SACK turnaround capability so
that the machine doesn't hang accessing an address that doesn't respond
on the UNIBUS.  One option might be for you to build a UNIPROBE card,
perhaps sans the LEDs to minimize the need for SMT devices to deal with.

I do have several spare M9312's and could sell you one - $50.  I can
deal with shipping to the UK.  But I suspect you will be able to find
someone from the UK on this list that has spare(s).

JRJ