Testing H745 Regulators

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 18 14:57:57 CST 2022

On 2022-Feb-17, at 11:40 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
> [...]

The 744 derives the +15 supply for the 723 from the same 20-30VAC main input supply, in contrast to the 745 where the +15 is from another source.

With the 744, once your bench supply goes into current limit and drops its output voltage, that's also dropping the +15 for the 723. Everything is going to be out of whack at that point, the reference supply, the amp/comparator action, etc. I can't say at this distance and limited info exactly what's going on, there's also the Q7 unijunction shut-down circuit in there. It may be in some sort of oscillation 'trying to start' or it may be latched up into an off state, because the supply voltage is below some threshold. (I've never dealt with these supplies directly, I'm just observing the schematics.)

This behaviour may be different for the 745 because the +15 ancillary supply is separate/independant from the main input.