VAX9000 unearthed

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 11:56:14 CST 2022

> On Feb 18, 2022, at 12:16 PM, Lee Courtney <leec2124 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
> What was the timeframe for the MPP?

I thought late 1980s.  Just did some searching, which turns up some manuals for the "DecMPP 12000".  And a trade press article that says it's a rebadged MasPar machine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasPar says that MasPar was founded by ex-DEC chip VP Jeff Kalb.  He took a design done at DEC, for a massively parallel machine inspired by the Goodyear MPP with some changes.  DEC decided not to build that so MasPar did and DEC then resold it.  The description sounds vaguely familiar.  The manual I downloaded says it has 1024 cores per board, and up to 16 boards.  Neat.

	paul