DECTape head problem

Gary Oliver go at ao-cs.com
Wed Feb 9 13:16:36 CST 2022

On 2/9/22 10:54, Michael Thompson via cctech wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:55:31 +0000
>> From: Wayne S <Wayne.Sudol at hotmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: DECTape head problem
>>
>> So it serms dectape heads are special. I don?t think Dec would have the
>> desire to make them internally so they probably contractef with a company
>> already set up to do that. Who were the big tape head manufacturers at that
>> time? Does anyone know?
>>
> We have one from Applied Magnetics Corporation, maybe the one in Goleta, CA.

I can't find them.  Lots of lost info (even Bloomberg has info, but the
web site listed goes to a parking 'for sale' page.) Documents suggest
they "merged out" in 1987 (but no pointers to who gobbled them up.)

I have sent a request for information from jrfmagnetics.com (thanks
Tom!) and will see what they say.  It's seems they are still 'lingering'
in the head repair business, so it's remotely possible they could do a
repair job.

Thanks all.

If anyone has a working head they aren't using, I'd entertain an
offer... :-)

-Gary