More switchmode power supply grief - Cisco IGS router

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at orcam.me.uk
Sat Feb 5 19:56:15 CST 2022

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:

> >  This PSU seems to have been used across various Cisco devices and I had
> > one fail several years ago in a WS-C1202 Ethernet/FDDI switch, also having
> > suffered from leaking caps.  Back then RS still had it in stock at a hefty
> > price of £489.60: <https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8338173/>, so I
> > chose to recap the failed one and thanfully it has continued working ever
> > since.  You may try to enquire with the manufacturer.
> >
> >  Good luck with bringing yours back to life!
> >

> Thanks Maciej.  I'll be surprised if the manufacturer has records of
> what they used for the chopper in power supplies 30 years ago - who
> knows if their design has changed between then and now.  I'll be even
> more suprised if they will talk to me about it but I guess it's worth
> a try.

 I've checked their web site and they continue to offer a MAP80-4000G,
which I suppose is just a minor update from the original, and is visually
the same, as it seems from the datasheet dated 2021.  So I'm fairly sure
they have all the data.  Those discrete semiconductor components do not
change much, I was able to order exact replacements for another faulty
device from 1990s a few years ago.

 They may offer you a paid repair or replacement service or if you're kind
enough and they are reasonable, they may identify the single part for you.

 NB Mouser has the MAP80-4000G in stock actually, so if all else fails and
you are determined to get the IGS running, you can pick a brand new one:
<https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/784-MAP80-4000G>.

 Good luck!

  Maciej