Origin of "partition" in storage devices

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 13:52:59 CST 2022

> On Feb 1, 2022, at 2:42 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/1/22 2:14 AM, Joshua Rice via cctalk wrote:
>> There's several advantages to doing it that way, including balancing wear on a disk (especially today, with SSDs), as a dedicated swap partition could put undue wear on certain areas of disk.
>
> I thought avoiding this very problem was the purpose of the wear leveling functions in SSD controllers.

Definitely.  But apparently wear from repeated writes is a thing on very high density modern HDDs, much to my surprise.  It's not as dramatic as flash memory but it apparently does exist.  For most purposes it probably isn't very important.  Especially not swap partitions: if you're swapping enough for this to matter you have bigger problems.  :-)

	paul