Origin of "partition" in storage devices

Mike Katz bitwiz at 12bitsbest.com
Tue Feb 1 11:16:22 CST 2022

In the rotating drive world there is constant linear velocity (CLV) and
constant angular velocity (CAV) drives.

On CLV drives the speed of rotation would vary based on the track
(slower in the inner tracks and faster on the outer tracks).  This meant
that the data rate and number of bits/track remained constant.

On CAV drives the rotational speed of the drive doesn't change, this
means that the data rate and number of bits/track changes depending on
the track.