Slashed letter O, unslashed letter zero

Gavin Scott gavin at learn.bio
Tue Apr 26 15:01:21 CDT 2022

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 2:44 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> We did have one old-timer who slashed letter O.  We talked to the
> keypunchers, and solved it by a discussion, and having him put his name in
> red LARGE on every sheet.

Forgive me, but is this not why we had a place on the coding forms
explicitly for this purpose, as seen in:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/FortranCodingForm.png

where "Punching Instructions" consisted of example pairs of a writer's
hand lettered graphic and how it should actually be punched?

I would have thought this was a fully solved problem from really early on.

G.