interesting DEC Pro stuff on eBay

Bjoren Davis bdweb at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 19 13:40:20 CDT 2022

Hello Retronians,

I just saw some interesting DEC Professional items on eBay from
smhelectronics261 (https://www.ebay.com/sch/smhelectronics261/m.html):

 1. Pro-350 (and presumably -325) video board
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/294933607768
 2. RD (hard disk) controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/294933620853
 3. CTI RAM board https://www.ebay.com/itm/294933515548
 4. RAM daughtercards https://www.ebay.com/itm/294933505973.  The
    description says "This added 512MB or Ram" but I think it is
    mistaken. The boards are marked "5415084" which I believe is the
    2-layer version of the board populated with 64 Kibit DRAMS, for a
    total of 128 KiByte/board or 256 KiByte for both boards (assuming
    that's actually what they're selling).
 5. Something called a "DEC Digital Professional DMA tester diagnostic
    module Pro350" board https://www.ebay.com/itm/294933577848.

I've bought from this seller before and they seem to have had access to
DEC-internal development stuff.  I bought a prototype TMS board and a
prototype never-released high speed serial board from them.

#5 is especially interesting because, as far as I know, no production
CTI board ever did DMA (not even the disk and Ethernet controllers, to
everyone's disappointment).  Looking at the photo I see the name "Dave
Iacobone".  I wonder if he is still around and remembers that board.

Just FYI: I, too, might bid on some of these items, but I thought it'd
only be fair to let everyone know.

--Bjoren