idea for a universal disk interface

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:03:37 CDT 2022

I also have multiple ESDI controllers, more than one these flavors:

Dilog DQ686
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dilog/2120-0137-1_DQ686_Nov89.pdf

Emulex QD21
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/emulex/QD2151002-J_QD21_Jun90.pdf

Sigma SCD-RQD11-EC (There seems to be multiple versions from different
vendors of this same basic board).
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sigmaInformationSystems/400740-B_SDC-RQD11-EC_Disk_Ctrl_Man_Jul88.pdf

They all support block mode DMA transfers, and command queuing with
seek optimization. The Dilog DQ686 and Emulex QD21 are dual wide
boards. The Sigma SCD-RQD11-EC is a quad wide board and has 1MB of
cache memory (which takes up about a quarter of the board area). The
examples I have might only be populated with 512KB of cache memory.

I might have had close to a dozen working full height 5.25-inch ESDI
drives at one point. Unfortunately most of them have failed while
sitting idle over the last few years. Without checking now I don't
know if any of them still work. So the dozen or so Q-Bus ESDI
controllers don't have any use for me now. (Fortunately I also have
more Q-Bus SCSI controllers than backplanes to put them in).

I also have a single Andromeda ESDC ESDI controller. Never found a
manual for that one. Did eventually figure out how to get into the
on-board configuration utility.