idea for a universal disk interface

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Sun Apr 17 15:32:18 CDT 2022

I have proceeded as far as full block diagrams (still have to write all
of the verilog) and basic SW architecture.  This is why I've had this
discussion.  I've thought about this *a lot* and have gone through
several iterations of what will or will not work given timing constraints.

I have all of the components for putting a prototype together but I just
haven't had the time yet to write the verilog, the Linux device driver
and the "personality board".  That is, there is still a lot to do.  ;-)

Some requirements that I've put on my design:

  * straight forward SW architecture
  * SW is *not* time critical (that is I didn't want SW in the critical
    path of keeping the data stream)
  * Must be able to emulate any SMD/ESDI drive
  * Must be able to match performance of the drive (or better)
  * Must be able to work with any controller (ESDI or SMD...depending
    upon interface)

With those in mind, that's how I came up with my design.

I found that the Zynq has sufficient Block RAM to contain a full
cylinder of 512KB.  I'm keeping a full cylinder because that allows
everything to be done in verilog except for seeks (see SW not being
required to be in the critical path).  If I didn't do that, then SW
would have to be involved in some aspects of head switch, etc and those
can have tight (<< 100us) latencies and I just didn't want to try and
get Linux to handle that.  Yes, I could use some form of RTOS (I'm
actually in the middle of writing one...but that's still a ways away)
but I don't see any that are really up to what I need/want to do for
this project.

BTW, I'm basing my initial implementation on the Zynq 7020 which has 1GB
of DRAM.  However, I'm also planning on a "bigger/better" one based upon
the Zynq Ultrascale+ which has 4GB of DRAM so that I can support
multiple/larger drives.

The amount required by Linux doesn't have to be large...I plan on having
the KMD just allocate a really big buffer (e.g. sufficient for
containing the entire drive image).  Linux will run happily in
128MB-256MB since there won't be any GUI.  It could be significantly
less if I were to strip out everything that isn't needed by the kernel
and only have a basic shell for booting/debug.  My plan is to have the
emulated drive data and the configuration file on the SD card...so
there's no real user interaction necessary (and Linux would not be on
the SD card but on the embedded flash on the Zynq module).

TTFN - Guy

--
TTFN - Guy