idea for a universal disk interface

Tom Gardner tom94022 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 14:12:12 CDT 2022

I haven't looked it up but I bet the head switch time is a lot longer than 1-2 usec - that's what the leading gap is for and the sync took most of the gap back in those days.

The issue is sustained data rate isn't it?  The ESMD raw data rate is 24 Mb/s but the formatted data is something like 80% of that or maybe 2.5 MB/sec.  A modern HDD in sequential mode can sustain a much higher rate, e.g. Seagate SAS <https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/solutions/mach-2-multi-actuator-hard-drive/files/tp714-dot-2-2006us-mach-2-technology-paper.pdf>  at 520 MB/sec.  My understanding is that the sectors are slipped and/or cylinders are horizontal so that head switching doesn't lose any revolutions.  Maybe one would run into a problem at the cylinder seek moment so maybe one would have to keep each full emulated cylinder on the modern drive’s cylinder, but with Terabytes of data on a modern drive who cares about some wasted storage

Tom