Advice on Desoldering an IC

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 15 20:48:34 CDT 2022

On 4/15/22 17:12, W2HX wrote:
> Just be careful around cerroblend. According to Wikipedia...
>
> "... is a metal alloy that is useful for soldering and making custom metal parts, but which is toxic to touch or breathe vapors from."
> "...is toxic because it contains lead and cadmium, and contamination of bare skin is considered harmful. Vapour from cadmium-containing alloys is also known to pose a danger to humans. Cadmium poisoning carries the risk of cancer, anosmia (loss of sense of smell), and damage to the liver, kidneys, nerves, bones, and respiratory system. Field's metal is a non-toxic alternative. The dust may form flammable mixtures with air."

I've used Cerrobend for decades as a filler when bending thinwall brass
tubing.  The small amount used in occasional problem de-soldering isn't
likely to cause problems.

Oh, we've fooled with some terrible things; bright cadmium plate for
everything from bolts to bicycle spokes, carbon tet for cleaning (used
to be the basis of Carbona spot remover), Zinc chromate for rust
prevention, lead pipes for water mains, leaded solder, mercury in all
sorts of things from thermometers to switches; tetraethyl lead being
spewed from automobile tailpipes for years...

And yet I'm in my dotage and still alive and kicking, somehow.

--Chuck