Retro networking / WAN communities

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Apr 12 14:15:42 CDT 2022

On 4/12/22 1:05 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> But that's a marketing document.

Eh ... Maybe.

Cisco has plenty of purely technical documentation on the same subject
with effectively similar technical information.  That was just the first
link that I found that wasn't a "hub" in the social sense where people /
community / etc gather to communicate; a la this mailing list is a hub
of technical minds & discussion.

> That doesn't match how I see the history.  From the DEC point of view,
> non-learning packet switches did not exist.  We sold either real
> bridges, or routers, or (early on) repeaters.  I never heard of a DEC
> customer using non-learning devices; if anyone had and ran into trouble
> I'm certain our answer would have been "please use a real bridge".

That may be the case inside the DEC ecosystem / community.  I don't
know.  I do think "please use a real bridge" is definitely a sensible
response.  I know I've said "please use a switch instead of a hub"
multiple times.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die