TRS-80 Question

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:14:48 CDT 2022

On 4/12/22 11:49, Peter Cetinski via cctalk wrote:

>> On 4/12/22 6:37 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>>> So, this just gets more and more confusing. (Have I really been away
>>> from all this for that long!!!)
>>> I dug up the tech manuals for the two of them (buried deep in my
>>> stacks of books) and compared them.  And you are, of course, right.
>>> Which just brings more questions.
>>> Why do Model I cassette programs (not BASIC) not run on the Model III?
>>>

> Model I machine language cassette programs will run just fine on the Model III given that the restrictions on direct hardware access mentioned are respected.

OK.  I was positive that I had tried this in the past without success
but I don't trust me memory so much any more so I tried it again.

> For example, for my game RoundUp!, you can load the 500 baud tape version on the Model I or Model III just fine.  Of course, you need to specify “L” for low rate baud of 500 at the Model III Cassette? prompt.  The model I only supports 500 baud cassettes.

I just loaded Tiny Pascal for the Model I into a Model III.
Tape successfully loaded.
Typed / and hit return.
L3 ERROR.

I may try something else just to see what happens, but being as
Tiny Pascal is the program I want to work with, it really doesn't
matter.  :-)

I have asked in other places but I guess I'll ask here, too.
Does anyone have a copy of Tiny Pascal (a cassette program)
for the Model III?  While I still have my Model I version in
one of my moves it appears I lost my Model III version.  All
I have is documentation, no tape.

Has that particular program not managed to survive for some
reason?

bill