Retro networking / WAN communities

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Tue Apr 12 09:44:04 CDT 2022

On 4/12/2022 10:12 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Apr 12, 2022, at 9:56 AM, Todd Goodman via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> The big difference in my mind between bridge and switch is:
>>
>> * Switches learn what port given MACs are on and only sends unicast
>>    traffic destined for that MAC address on that port and not all
>> * Bridges send unicast traffic to all ports
> Absolutely not.  The only standard device that forwards unicast to all ports is the repeater.  I don't know of any packet forwarding device that sends unicast traffic to all ports; certainly no such thing can be found in any standard.
>
> Learning was introduced by DEC in the DECbridge 100 (along with spanning tree); IEEE later standardized this, with some small mods, in 802.1d.
>
> 	paul

You snipped the part where I said except for ports that should not
receive the traffic due to blocked ports from the Spanning Tree Protocol
in 802.1d and that if that fails you end up with a broadcast storm.

Well, I didn't mention STP in 802.1d specifically because I thought it
was obvious.

Bridges were useful even after switches arrived to allow monitoring of
traffic on any port of the bridge.  It was useful before switches got
port mirroring and even after as it didn't require any configuration.

Todd