Retro networking / WAN communities

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 22:55:07 CDT 2022

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 11:18 PM Cameron Kaiser via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > I don't have a 10Base2 switch,
> Were there ever actual true 10b2 switches? I've only ever seen them as hubs,
> and I haven't seen a 10bT switch that had a 10b2 port (all the 10bT devices I
> have with 10b2 ports are hubs).

I am not sure what the actual distinction is, but a 'managed bridge'
turned up at the local antique market (!) some weeks back. It has a
pair of AUI ports and from the amount of logic/processor power inside
it does a lot more than just pass packets from one port to the other,

The main board contains a pair of ethernet interfaces (AM7990 based),
a 68020 processor, ROM, RAM, etc. A board on top of of it called the
'FLUT' (Frame Look Up Table?) contains a CY7C901 (16 bit slice ALU --
think of it as 4 off 2901 + carry loglc), a 29C10 seqencer, etc

After removing the leaking NiCd from the mainboard and repairing the
corroded tracks it powers up and passes the self-tests. No idea what
I'll use it for, but...

-tony